by Craig McFarland, Mayor of Casa Grande
My watch goes off and reminds me, “You haven’t moved in the last hour – get up and start moving.” So, I thought I would talk about two things to help us all “GET MOVING.”
We have two public facililites available to us, the Grande Sports World and our future Community Recreation Center.
Grande Sports World has state-of-the-art and world-class soccer/play fields. The city has put together some activities and schedules to help us all use and enjoy these fields:
- Casa Grande Community Services Department is hosting a series of free activities at Grande Sports World on select Saturdays in the months of May and June.
- The Spring Saturday Recreation Series will showcase a different activity each month and is open to all members of the public, regardless of age or skill.
- The fields at Grande Sports World are a high quality recreation asset and everyone in Casa Grande is invited to join in and enjoy them on these community days.
- Recreation staff is organizing each event and all participants who attend will be entered into a drawing for a $200 gift card.
- No registration is required, however a waiver will be provided at the event for all interested parties.
- Spring Saturday Recreation Series Event Schedule:
- Saturday, May 20: Soccer Skills Challenge, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 17: Football Skills Challenge, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Grande Sports World Open Play allows any Casa Grande resident to use these world class fields:
- Free use of Grande Sports World’s two southern fields (two fields located closest to the ASU Preparatory School Building).
- Available for free use May 8 – August 31 from 8:00 am until dusk each day.
- Grande Sports World is located at 12684 W. Gila Bend Hwy, Casa Grande, AZ 85193 (a six-minute drive west from the Holiday Inn to Grande Sports World).
- Casa Grande Community Recreation Center Architectural Layout (see image) has been approved. The final architectural plans will now be developed, which should take about 6 – 8 months. Final City Council approval will take 30 days and construction is 12 – 14 months.